The 17th European Conference on Machine Learning and
the 10th European Conference on Principles and Practice of Knowledge
Discovery in Databases have been held from September 18th to 22nd in
Berlin, Germany. The conferences were hosted by
zu Berlin. The meeting featured five keynotes and 140 technical papers, over 400 participants attended.
The Program Chairs and Organization Team wish to thank all presenters and attendees
for making this conference an inspiring and fun event!
Keynote Talks have been held by
The following outstanding contributions are distinguished; Student Best paper Awards are sponsored by the Machine Learning Journal, Best Paper Awards by KD-Ubiq.
- ECML Best Paper: Quoc Le, Alex Smola, Thomas Gärtner, Yasemin Altun. Transductive Gaussian Process Regression with Automatic Model Selection.
- PKDD Best Paper: Pauli Miettinen, Taneli Mielikäinen, Aristides Gionis, Gautam Das, Heikki Mannila.
The Discrete Basis Problem.
- ECML Best Student Paper: Bernd Gutmann and Kristian Kersting. TildeCRF. Conditional Random fields for Logical Sequences.
- PKDD Best Student Paper: Arik Friedmann, Assaf Schuster, Ran Wolff. k-Anonymous Decision Tree Induction.
- ECML Innovative Contribution: Alexander Clark, Christophe Costa Florencio, Chris Watkins. Languages as
Hyperplanes: Grammatical Inference with String Kernels.
- PKDD Innovative Application: Herna Viktor, Eric Paquet, Hongyu Guo. Measuring to Fit: Virtual Tailoring through Cluster Analysis and Classification.
- Best Presentation Award, determined by vote among the conference participants: Albrecht Zimmermann for his presentation of the paper Don't Be Afraid of Simpler Patterns by
Björn Bringmann, Albrecht Zimmermann, Luc De Raedt, Siegfried Nijssen.
- Best Poster Presentation Award, determined by vote among the conference participants: Arno Knobbe for his poster Pattern Teams.
The ECML/PKDD 2006 conference poster (2.7 MB) is available for download.
The Google Earth file of the ECML/PKDD 2006 venue can be downloaded here.